The Petersburg Toll House was constructed during the 1830’s in order to maintain one of the nation’s first federally funded roads. The National Road, which was opened to the public in 1818, was expensive to maintain and developed many ruts due to heavy transportation of goods and people.
In order to maintain its upkeep, the states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia (now West Virginia) decided to turn the road from Cumberland, Md. to Wheeling Creek, Va. into a toll road. Toll houses were constructed every 15 miles apart, and toll keepers were responsible for collecting money as travelers passed through.
The Petersburg Toll House was erected in 1835 and cost about $1,530 to build. With Richard Delafield’s (Captain of Engineers) instruction, the building was made with Native Stone and became the first toll house travelers would reach after crossing the Maryland state line into Pennsylvania. The toll house remained in use until 1906, when the last recorded toll was collected.
Petersburg Toll House
(located off US-40)
Addison, PA 15411